Co-creation Hub is excited to work with the Government of Nigeria, represented by the Federal Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation (FMSTI) and the Rural Electrification Agency (REA), on the Global Cleantech Innovation Programme (GCIP). The programme, aimed at fostering cleantech innovation and entrepreneurship ecosystems in emerging markets and developing economies, is implemented in collaboration with the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) and the Global Environment Facility (GEF).
The Global Cleantech Innovation Programme (GCIP) is a United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)-led programme, funded by the Global Environment Facility (GEF), promoting cleantech innovation and entrepreneurship to address the most pressing climate and environmental challenges.
Climate change is a global challenge requiring urgent action. At the same time, the demand for resources and energy continues to increase, especially in emerging markets and developing economies. The limited deployment of cleantech innovations can restrict a country’s ability to fulfill its low-carbon development potential. Adopting innovative clean technologies is critical for climate action without compromising economic and industrial development.
While cleantech Innovators have limitless potential for new ideas, they often find it difficult to bring their solutions to market. Cleantech Innovators and Startups often face serious barriers to commercializing ideas and scaling up their startups. Lack of technical support, limited access to funding, weak cleantech ecosystem, weak policy regulatory environment, and institutional barriers among others have kept most innovators in the “Valley of death”.
GCIP bridges this “valley of death” by providing competition-based business acceleration services for innovative cleantech start-ups and SMEs, linking enterprises to private sector investors and fostering enabling innovation and entrepreneurship ecosystems.
Joining the GCIP accelerator gives you the opportunity to be part of an emerging cleantech community in Nigeria that includes key players such as the government, business institutions and investors, innovation experts and tech enthusiasts. Make an impact through your innovation and get access to a wide network of industry experts and leaders.
What makes GCIP beneficial for me/my company?
- Access to high-impact capacity building sessions delivered by innovative business and cleantech leaders
- Linkage with mentors and industry experts for targeted advisory support along the journey
- Access to capital through relationship with strategic investors, VC firms, and other financing institutions
- Opportunity to actively contribute to the national and global cleantech innovation ecosystem
- Amplify your impact through National and Global events and showcases
- Opportunity to scale your innovative cleantech solution in Nigeria and beyond through strategic linkages
- Connection with large scale cleantech companies across the globe for possible collaborations
Which categories of startups can apply?
We are looking for early-stage startups that have the following
- An already developed innovative technology-based product (prototype or an existing solution in the market)
- A solution that falls under any of the following cleantech categories with particular attention to solutions that improve energy access in underserved regions:
- Energy Efficiency
- Renewable Energy
- Waste Beneficiation
- Green Buildings
- Advanced Materials and Chemicals
- A well-rounded and committed team with complementary skills.
The application is open to all Nigerian based cleantech startups and innovators. Learn more about the Global Cleantech Innovation Programme and apply here: (Under “country”, select Nigeria)
Application Deadline for Startups: July 21st, 2022
Ecosystem Builders are also Invited
We are on a quest to accelerate the growth of the Cleantech community in Nigeria and we would love to have you on board. Would you like to support the rise of cleantech in Nigeria? Would you love a chance to contribute your quota as an expert, researcher, investor, institutional partner, or cleantech advocate as we collectively grow the Nigerian Cleantech economy? We welcome you to express your interest via this form.