|Title||Centre Manager (American Corner)|
Under the general supervision of the Director of the CcHUB, the Centre Manager of the American Corner in Lagos, Nigeria coordinates, plans, organises and directs the activities of the corner. The Centre Manager serves as the liaison person between the Library and the U.S. Consulate in Lagos as well as local institutions such as businesses, universities, schools, and organisations with an interest in the United States.
The Corner is an American-style cultural centre and cooperative learning environment designed to increase mutual understanding between Nigeria and the United States.
The corner offers programs/activities in five core areas: EducationUSA advising, English language learning, cultural and STEM* programs, alumni engagement, and information about the U.S. The corner also offers resources, such as books, films, games, “maker space” equipment and Internet access.
Successful applicants will be expected to demonstrate the ability to make the Corner a centre of creative engagement between young Nigerians and Americans, a place where innovative and creative activities happen on a regular basis, and where visitors will feel comfortable and welcome. He/she will demonstrate the ability to initiate and sustain a broad program of activities, including but not limited to: student clubs, EducationUSA advising, English language training, film screenings, lectures, workshops and seminars, digital engagement, and “maker-space” activities with a variety of tools and equipment where users can cultivate STEM* skills through hands-on learning experiences.
This position is full-time, working on a varying schedule, including occasional evenings and weekends.
1. In the first year, coordinate and serve as a principal point of contact (POC) for all matters related to the renovation and redesign of the existing Corner space at the CcHUB. The Corner Centre Manager will brief the Information Resource Center at the U.S. Consulate and the Information Resource officer in Abuja on the progress of work on a weekly basis or more often if required, and communicate with CcHUB officials on the Embassy’s needs and goals.
2. Initiate and sustain a broad program of activities, including but not limited to student clubs, English language training, film screenings, lectures, workshops and seminars, cultural events, digital engagement, and maker-space activities. Some programs may take place outside the space of the Corner. Once fully open, the Corner must implement at least 24 programs per year, though more will be expected in order to meet the “Gold Standard” required.
3. Report monthly to the Information Resource Center at the U.S. Consulate on all Corner activities and user statistics.
4. Draw upon U.S. government and Nigeria Fullbright Commission exchange grantees and visitors, including English Teaching Assistants, English Language Specialists, Fullbright scholars, visiting speakers, and cultural performers, as program resources, arranging events for them at the Corner and other venues in Lagos and devising programs for them to engage with a broad range of students.
5. Work with U.S. Embassy and Consulate’s Public Affairs staff to disseminate information about studying in the U.S. to Nigerian students and proactively reach to alumni of U.S. government exchange programs that promote alumni engagement.
6. Build close relationships with the academic departments of universities, exploring ways to use the Corner as a “maker space,” a location for innovation and exploration of new technologies as a part way to job creation.
7. Understand and promote to Corner visitors the full range of online and physical resources available at and through the Corner, including computers, iPads, eLibraryUSA databases, interactive web chats and other Internet-based events.
8. Manage the Corner’s presence on social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other similar sites, including sharing, posting and developing unique content that builds mutual understanding between the United States and Nigeria.
9. Operate and maintain computer and digital equipment such as tablets, laptops, cameras and 3D printer; set up equipment for interactive online programming using network connections and wifi.
*STEM: Science, Technology, Engineering and Math
Email a cover letter and your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have the right experience and skills for this position (Title: Centre Manager – American Corner)
About American Corners
American Corners are the first places to visit when you have questions about the United States. The goal of each Corner is to provide general, substantive and accurate information about the United States to interested parties. Materials in the American Corners cover a wide range of subjects pertaining to the United States, such as its policies, society, education and culture.
About Co-creation Hub
Co-creation Hub Nigeria is a social enterprise committed to bringing together stakeholders from different walks of life to work collaboratively on solutions to social challenges facing the Nigerian society.