Co-Creation Hub (CcHUB) in partnership with CHIME FOR CHANGE, Global Citizen, and Facebook is inviting you to participate in CHIMEHACK 3, a two-day hackathon to identify ways & build technology solutions leveraging social media for reporting and eliminating violence against women.
CHIMEHACK 3 will leverage on social media to find solutions that will focus on reporting and eliminating violence against women and girls around the world. The hackathon will bring together hackers along with issue experts and non-profit leaders to create tech-driven solutions focused on gender equality.
Are you passionate about developing innovative solutions for creating social impact? Be a part of this hackathon by:
1. Submitting an idea participants can build to help reporting and eliminating violence against women: https://cchub.typeform.com/to/TzF52J
2. Registering to participate in the hackathon: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/chimehack-3-tickets-27148113739
Selection and award prizes will be based on a range of criteria including best product, scalability and global impact, user experience and design, engineering excellence and most original.
Info Session:Friday, 26th August, 2016 by 5.00 pm – 7.00 pm
Hackathon: Saturday, 27th of August, 2016 and Sunday, 28th August, 2016 from 11.00 am
Venue: 6th Floor, Co-Creation Hub (CcHUB), 294 Herbert Macaulay way, Sabo, Yaba. Lagos.
Find out more information on event & it’s agenda here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/chimehack-3-tickets-27148113739
Progressive Web Apps are experiences that combine the best of the web and the best of apps. They load quickly, even on flaky networks, can re-engage with users by sending web push notifications, have an icon on the home screen and load as top-level, full screen experiences. PWAs are already working for platforms in Sub-Saharan Africa, like Konga, an e-commerce platform in Nigeria, based on a recent case study.
To help developers better understand the experiences that combine the best of the web and the best of apps, we’ll be hosting our 1st ever Progressive Web Apps event series in Sub-Saharan Africa. This will take place across 3 cities in Africa: Nairobi (15th August), Lagos (18th August), and Johannesburg (22nd August).
Come engage in talks and hands-on codelabs covering Progressive Web Apps (PWA) with a focus on Instant and Offline Mobile Apps with Service Workers, Deep Engagements on Installable Apps and Push Notifications and much more. The workshop will provide you with the skills and resources necessary to start building your own Progressive Web App.
This is a technical event, with multiple sessions on Progressive Web Apps, facilitated by Googlers and Web Technologies Experts from around the world. The target audience is top developers from agencies, publishers, startups and indie developers, focusing on web apps / web sites.
For further information, visit the Progressive Web Apps Sub-Saharan Africa Website.
If you are a developer who meets these criteria, please visit the Progressive Web Apps SSA signup form on or before August 5, 2016 to apply.
This is a limited capacity event and only shortlisted applicants will be contacted by August 10, 2016 with all the necessary details.
Co-Creation Hub invites you to a digital security workshop as a prelude to the launch of Safe Online – a digital security guide for Nigerian civil society organization, journalists and active citizens.
Social Media and the internet play an increasingly significant role in the efforts to promote social justice and an active democracy in Nigeria.
As more of our personal and professional data moves online, CSOs, Journalists and active citizens are increasingly exposed to digital security vulnerabilities that can compromise their activities.
To prevent this, the CcHUB, supported by OSIWA, is developing SafeOnline.
At the workshop, we will explore:
- An overview of the digital security threats facing civic Nigeria
- An overview of the SafeOnline project and progress achieved so far
- Review of the content being created for the guide to ensure suitability
- Input on how the guide can be improved to achieve our outcomes
The workshop is open to staff and members of CSOs, journalists, owners of online platforms, active citizens and the general public though limited spaces are available.
Venue: 6th Floor, Co-Creation Hub Nigeria – 294 Herbert Macaulay Way, Sabo Yaba
Date: Thursday, 28th July, 2016
Time: 11.00 AM – 01.00 PM
To participate, sign up HERE
See you there!
Experience VR video (use the arrows in the top left corner)
Imisi 3D Virtual Reality creation lab is coming to CcHUB! Find out more about the Imisi 3D:
We are a Virtual Reality (VR) creation lab dedicated to growing a community of VR developers in Nigeria, creating solutions using VR, and providing educational and engagement experiences with VR.
We see huge potential for VR as a tool for creating everyday solutions and intend to change the technology narrative so that here we become creators and not just consumers of technology.
Imisi 3D is future thinking and committed to being responsible ancestors, creating a better world for today and tomorrow.
Our name Ìmísí is the Yoruba word for inspiration, it literally means “to breathe into…” and we do this in 3D
We are in residence at #the6thFloor by CcHUB for a week starting from July 11th, stop by and visit us between 11.00 AM and 4.00 PM each day. We can discuss virtual reality, and you can try it out too! We are also holding a Virtual Reality showcase at 3.00PM on July 12th.
Want to get in touch? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit us at www.imisi3d.com
Two weeks ago, we kicked off the Next Economy Accelerator program in partnership with Enviu with 10 high potential early stage businesses. Next Economy is a 3-month accelerator for early stage businesses in Lagos/Nigeria to help grow their businesses into profitable & sustainable enterprises to stimulate the creation of jobs in Nigeria. The Next Economy will empower businesses with the knowledge, skills and tools to needed achieve growth and scale.
Prior to the kick off, a call for applications was made in Lagos via various social media channels for early stage businesses looking for acceleration support to aid their growth. Over a course of 2 weeks, a total of 55 applications were received on the portal.
Applications were screened based on preset criteria and 10 amazing businesses evolved! Let’s give you a brief introduction to the ventures:
2. Balogunmarket.ng: A chat-commerce platform that brings together small time retailers and kisoks owners in West Africa’s Biggest Market to customers & consumers.
3. Greenbles: An e-commerce platform that is focused on the sales & distribution of green goods directly from farmers to wholesalers and retailers.
4. WhyHemCee Enterprises: A personal grocery shopper that helps you source for affordable, fresh and healthy food items and brings them to your doorstep.
5. ProTeach: An Edtech platform that connects students to expert tutors within the Lagos metropolis.
6. Autosave Roadside Assistance: A platform that provides 24-hour assistance like minor mechanical first aid and extricating & towing to motorists in and around Lagos.
7. Oremicrafts: They create unique crafts and accessories from new, recycled and local materials.
8. Cribpark: Nigeria’s first state-of-the-art e-commerce marketplace where home builders can purchase home construction items from vetted and trusted sellers.
9. DeliveryBros: An On-demand Delivery and Retail Fulfillment company optimizing Intelligent and Smart technology with our fleet of riders to deliver World Class on-demand delivery services with reliable pickup and drop off options with real time tracking as well as transparent pricing per fulfillment request.
10. Charme: A Beauty and Wellness on-demand Service in Lagos that brings vetted beauty and wellness professionals to your doorstep.
To immerse the shortlisted ventures into the program, a 2-day boot camp was held at the CcHUB – on #the6thfloor. Ventures were introduced to the program’s objectives and the learning curriculum for the accelerator. A need assessment and thorough analysis of each business was done using the Business Model Canvas & Swot analysis tool, also each venture set goals they intend to achieve through the accelerator and metrics to track them.
At the Accelerator, weekly working sessions facilitated by seasoned experts would be conducted for the businesses to get valuable insights and customized growth hacking tips to rapidly scale their user base. At the end of the accelerator program, ventures will partake in a demo day, which is an opportunity to showcase their business with the public, the media and also meet prospective investors.
Follow their growth over the next 3 months with the hashtag #NextEconomy on twitter.